What is the Cycle to Work Scheme and how does it work?
The Cycle to Work Scheme is a government backed initiative that allows an employee to save up to 40% off the price of a new bike through tax and National Insurance savings. The savings are taken via salary sacrifice over a 12 month period.
- As an example if a base rate tax payer wanted to spend £1000 he would save 32% which would equate to a cost of £680.
- Over the 12 month period this would equal £56.66 being deducted each month...not bad!
- The scheme is open to all UK residents and applies for customers who wish to purchase a bike or accessories from Cloud 9 Cycles.
- The bikes can be custom built or off the shelve and is a great way to purchase a new bike.
To read all of the information please see the governments webpage - here.
How do I buy a bike?
The first thing to do is pop into the shop or give us a call and we can talk through what bike will suit you best.
We can then give you a quote (this is normally limited to £1000) which you can take to your employer.
Some companies deal directly with the Government where others use 3rd party operators to process the vouchers*.
We can accept vouchers from the following:
- Direct payment from employers (recommended)
- NHS SME HCI schemes
- Bike 2 Work
- Halfords Cycle to Work
- Salary extras bike scheme
Please note that our shop code for Cycle To Work is Cloud010 should you need it.
Once the quote is processed you will be issued with a voucher. Please bring this voucher into the store or send us an email and we can prepare your bike ready for you to collect.
* Please note that some of the 3rd party operators charge an admin fee for processing the vouchers. Rather than pass this charge fully onto the customer we split the difference equally. This is much more generous than other organisations.
How long does the process take?
Depending on how efficient your employer is the timescales from issuing a quote to collecting the voucher vary from 1 week to 1 month.
Who is the legal owner of the bike?
Your employer remains the legal owner of the bike until the end of the lease period. At that point your employer may choose to either keep the bike or sell it to you for a "nominal sum" as laid out in the terms of their scheme.
Can I get a bike with a higher value than the voucher and pay the remaining balance myself?
Cloud 9 have no issue with overspend but we do advise to check that your employer allows this since not all companies or C2W providers do.
What if the bike is stolen during the hire period?
We recommend that you invest in a lock with a ‘Sold Secure’ rating and get your bike insured. If your bike is stolen, you’ll have to repay your employer from your net pay, without any tax savings.
Are sale bikes included?
Yes you can buy sales bikes with the vouchers no problem
Are custom bikes included?
Yes they are.
We hope this answers all of your questions but please do not hesitate to get in touch if there is anything that we have not covered?